Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Maic's Visit to the Vet

Well, it doesn't look good.

We went to the vet yesterday, and Dr. Rubin completely ruled out the mastitis. My Queen and Sister has the more aggressive form of mamary cancer. This is devastating.

After a long talk with Dr. Rubin to weigh all the options. Mom has decide to not do the biopsy because it would be a surgical biopsy, which would be very stressful on Magic. Mom and Dad felt there was no reason to put her through it. She is an old dog, and she does not do well with anesthia.

They also decided to not do the surgery to remove the tumor for the same reason, plus if they did the surgery it MIGHT only buy her a year at most. They felt it was unfair to put her thorugh that just to keep her here with them.

Chemotheraphy is not very effective for this type of cancer, so that is not an option either.
So, they all decide to just treat Magic's symptoms and to keep her as comfortable as possible until she is ready to go. For now that includes antibiotics and aspirin. Magic is not in any pain - at least she is not showing any outward signs of pain.
We are all going to spoil her.

6 comments:

Steve, Kat, & Wilbur said...

We're keeping Magic and your family in our thoughts. We know you'll do the right think and keep her happy for as long as possible.

Steve and Kat

DKMaialetti said...

Hi Steve & Kat,
Thank You. Yes we are going to keep her happy.
-Georgie

The Thundering Herd said...

24 paws crossed here for Magic's comfort and enjoyment. Some great memories can be formed in these days by just enjoying every possible minute.

DKMaialetti said...

Thanks to the Thundering Herd for the kind thoughts and words.
-Georgie

Cyber-sibes said...

Ha-roo Magic,
we just came across your blog - we're so sorry to hear you are going through this trial - we've been there too. We have all paws crossed you have many happy days still ahead.

Woos & a-roos,
Star & Jack a-roo

DKMaialetti said...

Hi Star & Jack,
Thank you.